Friday, July 20, 2012

Pack a lunch!

It can sometimes be tough to find something to bring for lunches for work or school. I started making my lunches in college to save money, but found that I really like it. When the day is tough, it's nice to have a little but of  something to remind you of home for lunch, plus you don't have to worry about standing in line- Bonus- packed lunches are usually healthier too! Seems like a win-win. But what to make- you can only take so much peanut butter and jelly! I have a few ideas to share with you-
-any leftovers are good for lunches. I usually make extra rice whenever we have it on the weekend because I know I will use it for lunches later, then throughout the week, I make extras of what we are having so that there is enough for lunches. I do BBQ chicken rice and "taco rice" a lot simply by putting leftovers over rice. We usually have one mexican night every week with tacos or fajitas. Regular chicken can always be added to make chicken fried rice.
-We can't have rice everyday either though, can we? I do like sandwiches and I think they have their place, I just don't like the same thing everyday. Every week I usually get at least two sandwich meats that go well together for a club- really just depends on what you like. If you just want to use one of the meats, there is some variety. I try to include bacon, but bacon never seems to survive in my house until the next day! I use provolone or swiss cheese and spinach or leaf lettuce. The farmer's market is great for getting your freshest vegetables, and it really makes such a big difference.  Bonus! It's usually cheaper than the stores too!
-To go with sandwiches, I like to make a quick pasta salad on the weekend- I use corkscrew pasta, olive oil and a water,  and a splash of balsamic or white wine vinegar then add fresh parsley (chopped), basil and bacon bits (sometimes) The great thing about pasta salad is adding in whatever you like- olives, diced tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, pepperoni all go well too, and no re-heating is necessary, so it's great if you don't have a microwave.
-Tuna, chicken or egg salad- again, these are easy enough to throw together on the weekend for lunches during the week.
-fruit or veggies and dip
-Make a parfait- layer vanilla yogurt, vanilla yogurt and your favorite berries and top with granola
-Soups- great for winter/fall and easy to make in bulk and freeze for later
Remember, once in a while, include cookies or dessert too- there are some days at work when you know you'll need a bit of chocolate to boost your mood!

Hope you got some brilliant ideas! Have anything to add? Don't be afraid to share your ideas in comments- we'd love to hear them!



Southwestern Chicken Pasta Salad from Cookinglight.com 


















Sources and more great ideas!
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/15-fresh-brown-bag-lunch-ideas
Image source: http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/smart-choices/healthy-lunch-ideas-00412000067923/page26.html


No comments:

Post a Comment